An Audit and Accounts Senior with an interest in the education sector is being sought to complement the current Peterborough office audit team. This is an excellent opportunity to join this friendly, vibrant and dynamic business.
This is a varied role that will include overseeing and undertaking a mixture of audit and accounts work, both in the office and at client premises, giving the successful candidate a wide range of experience across both disciplines.
In additional to some general audit work, a large part of the role will focus on the education sector. This will combine the external audit, internal scrutiny and other sector specific requirements of Academy Trust and Multi Academy Trust clients.
The Education sector is a niche area combining the specific regulatory and reporting requirements of the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) with those of the more general Charities sector.
As publicly funded entities, Academies are highly regulated with the ESFA publishing annual guidance on the audited accounts as well as more general governance, finance and control requirements. This specialism in the sector requires keeping up to date with regulatory publications, ability to meet regular deadlines as well as an attention to detail and logical approach.
The role will complement audit and accounts preparation providing experience in charity accounts and both internal and external audit, whilst developing trusted relationships with new and existing Academy clients.
We seek a passionate and enthusiastic individual with at least two years’ experience in the delivery of external audit and accounting services. Ideally the applicant will have experience of conducting and completing audit engagements across a wide range of clients, both carrying out this work and overseeing and reporting on the work of others. Experience of the education sector is desirable but not essential.
The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate a commitment to delivering a first class service to clients, and the ability to work as part of a team.
You will work with a varied of portfolio of clients across abroad range of business sectors, including owner managed businesses, limited companies, corporate groups, as well as charities, not-for-profits and academies.
· Leading audits from planning to completion ensuring compliance with all regulatory requirements
· Supervising and coaching trainee team members
· Preparing accounts for supervisor/manager’s review and approval to include:
o Producing lead schedules to agree to accounts disclosures
o Producing and reconciliating the control accounts
o Collating appropriate evidence to support figures in the accounts
o Preparing sole trader/company tax computations
o Raising relevant and coherent queries to assist with supervisor/manager review
Academy specific elements of the role will include working with both Single Academy Trusts and Multi Academy Trusts to meet seasonal requirements:
Annual Statutory Audit
Reviewing and feeding back on Academy accounts preparation (including the Trustees Report and disclosures) ensuring compliance with the Academies accounts direction
Involvement in the completion of the audit file including final client meetings where appropriate
Liaising and working with clients to complete Annual Academies Returns (AAR)
Involvement in the planning, execution, and completion of internal scrutiny audits to ensure compliance with the Academies Handbook
Preparing the internal scrutiny reports including feedback and recommendations on both financial and non-financial areas.
Other Academy areas
· Involvement in the planning, execution, and completion of annual Pension Audits
Education and experience
· Qualified with either ACCA or ACA
· At least three years’ UK accountancy practice experience
· Knowledge of FRS 102
· Competent knowledge of the Microsoft Office software
· Competent knowledge of accounts software
· Ability to deliver accurate work to deadlines and under pressure with good time management skills
· Demonstrate a commitment to delivering a first-class service to clients, and the ability to work as part of a team
· Excellent customer service and communication skills, both written and verbal.
· Must be able to live and work in the UK
· A driving licence and access to transport is essential as the majority of the audits are conducted at the client’s premises
Salary & benefits
· A dynamic and varied workload and excellent prospects for progression
· Competitive salary (market rate) depending upon experience. Salary is reviewed annually.
· Extensive internal and on-the-job training
· Paid overtime or time off in lieu - - although we try to keep overtime to a minimum
· Group Personal Pension Scheme
· 25 days annual leave in addition to statutory bank holidays.
· Life assurance cover of four times salary
· Eligibility for the firm’s annual bonus scheme
· Flexible working
· Client referral bonus
· Employee referral bonus
· Ongoing Learning and Development through one-to-one mentoring and the Moore Global platform to develop soft skills as well as technical knowledge
· Social events including Christmas party and Summer parties, inter office sports events and more
· Charity fundraising to help support the local community
Moore is a fast-growing, top 10 accounting and advisory network,with offices throughout the UK and members across the globe. In the East Midlands firm, we have offices in Corby, Northampton and Peterborough.
We offer a complete solution for businesses and individuals. As well as the usual services of accounts, tax advice and audits we also offer a complete payroll service, strategic business planning, corporate finance, inheritance tax planning and much more.
Our commitment to diversity
Moore East Midlands is committed to promoting equality and diversity. We work hard to make sure that everyone is treated fairly and that everyone’s contribution is valued. We actively encourage everyone to reach and fulfil their own potential regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation or background.